- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 4 Gardein Tuscan chicken breasts (without sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges in pear juice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegan chicken broth (such as Imagine)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
2. Meanwhile, drain the oranges over a bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid; discard the remaining liquid.
3. Add the oranges, reserved liquid, green onions, jalapeno, and minced garlic to the pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Whisk together the broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Add to the pan and bring to a boil; continue to cook for 1 minute, until slightly thickened.
You can serve the chicken alone, but I highly recommend a bed of Asian noodles whether somen:
or soba noodles:
Any of them work well here. Add steamed snow peas on the side to round out the meal.
4 servings (1 chicken breast, 6 tablespoons sauce), Calories 212
Overall, a fun dish, if you like mandarin oranges as much as I do. The taste was surprisingly blander than I expected, despite nice heat from the jalapeno. I would increase the soy sauce and decrease the green onions, and then I think the overall flavor would become a winner. I also would chop the chicken into bite sized pieces next time during cooking, so that the dish could be ladled more easily over noodles - because you will definitely want noodles to soak up the sauce, and enjoy the flavor to the fullest.