- 1 and 1/4 cups applesauce
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegan sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 Ener-G eggs*
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate minichips (such as Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 cup vanilla-flavored baking chips (such as Paskesz)
- Cooking spray
2. Transfer the applesauce to a large bowl, and add the sugar, vanilla extract, and Ener-G eggs, stirring until blended.
3. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine the flour in a bowl with the cocoa and salt. Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in the minichips and vanilla chips.
4. Spoon the batter into a 13x9-inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 24 brownies.
*Unlike with, say, vegan angel food cake, there's no need to beat the Ener-G eggs in this recipe for a long time. However, since there is no other leavening agent in the batter, I recommend beating the Ener-G with a hand mixer just for a minute or two before adding to the other ingredients.
24 servings (1 brownie), Calories 175
Super chocolatey and rich; these brownies definitely live up to their decadent moniker. I would, however, use less cocoa because all that yummy chocolate made it hard to taste the tidbits of vanilla chips and minichips. The brownies are also quite sweet, so you really don't need a full 2 and 1/2 cups sugar. Still, fantastic, with a soft, chewy center, crisp edge, and just the right touch of salt. Even better after a day in the fridge, believe it or not.