- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped red, orange, or green Roasted Bell Peppers
- 2/3 cup chopped and seeded plum tomato
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons seeded and minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Note: when you buy corn, check the silky strands at the top to see if the ear inside is fresh; the strands should be white or golden brown.
2. Combine the corn kernels in a large bowl with the roasted bell peppers, tomato, shallots, parsley, and jalapeno.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime rind, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
4. Drizzle over the corn mixture and toss to combine. Don't forget extra flat-leaf parsley sprigs for a pretty garnish.
Try pairing with Gardein chicken for a quick supper: for an easy upgrade over the packaged sauce, sprinkle with salt, cracked black pepper, and paprika. Cook in a skillet for 7 minutes on each side, until nicely browned on the outside.
6 servings (1/2 cup), Calories 72
If you're going to eat corn raw, this is the way to do it. The corn "cooks" just slightly in the acidity of the lime juice, making for perfect taste and texture. Wonderfully fresh, with the occasional kick from the jalapeno, and roasty toasty bell peppers, but I would use more parsley and more tomato. Because the salad paired so well with the paprika chicken, I might prepare a couple chicken breasts as suggested above, cut into bite-sized pieces, and stir directly into the salad. The same thing would no doubt be delicious with cubes of paprika-dusted baked tofu.