- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons plain non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan brown sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted pecans*
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2. Wrap the potatoes in a towel and let stand for 5 minutes. Scoop out the pulp and discard the skins.
3. Combine the pulp in a bowl with the milk, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and salt; mash.
4. Meanwhile, combine the remaining brown sugar in a small bowl with the butter, pecans, and cinnamon.
5. Mash together with a fork until combined:
6. Spoon 3/4 cup sweet potato mixture onto each of 2 plates, and top each serving with 1 tablespoon pecan mixture.
You'll have just enough to serve 2. If you want a sweet potato recipe that feeds a larger crowd, see my post for Chipotle-Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
Because this is a very sweet side dish (see my tasting notes below), I recommend pairing with a savory vegan meat, whether Gardein's chicken or their breaded turkey cutlets:
Or little sauteed Match pork cutlets:
*Toast the pecans while the sweet potatoes are in the microwave. For an amount so small, the stovetop is easier than the oven; toast in a small skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning.
2 servings (3/4 cup sweet potato mixture, 1 tablespoon pecan mixture), Calories 299
This pecan butter might just be my new favorite thing on earth, a buttery, sugary, toasted burst of flavor. Put it on anything and you'll be in heaven, but of course it pairs excellently with these sweet potatoes. The potatoes themselves are quite sweet since they are also mashed with a bit of brown sugar. Skip the sugar in the potatoes if you want them more savory.