- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 and 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup (1/2-inch) diagonally cut snow peas
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped red and yellow Roasted Bell Peppers
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2. Add the vegetable broth; bring to a boil. Stir in the barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes - the barley should be tender.
3. Stir in the snow peas, Roasted Bell Peppers, and black pepper. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
Make this a side dish to any vegan protein - whether tempeh, tofu, or mock meats like Gardein beef or chicken, or Match pork.
You can also double the suggested serving size below to make this your main dish.
4 servings (about 2/3 cup), Calories 113
Super easy but with great flavor from the aromatics and the bell peppers. The snow peas felt out of place, so although still good, I would replace them with another green veggie next time. I also would amp up the flavor by stirring in chopped, toasted walnuts, a swirl of sherry vinegar, or perhaps even vegan Parmesan sprinkles on top. Still, very all-purpose and great for weeknights.