- 4 cups low-fat chocolate non-dairy ice cream
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 ounces finely chopped dark chocolate*
2. Meanwhile, combine the Kahlua and coffee granules in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until the coffee dissolves and let cool.
3. Combine the softened ice cream, Kahlua mixture, and chopped chocolate in the chilled bowl, stirring with a rubber spatula to combine. (The attachment of a stand mixer would also work well to mix everything together).
4. Cover and return to the freezer to re-freeze to desired consistency; I recommend 4 hours if you want ice cream close to the texture of soft serve, and at east 8 hours if you want it firm.
This ice cream is delicious scooped into a bowl and served plain...
...but here are a few fun ideas to make it even better. Make a "Crunchy Mocha" sundae by sprinkling with your favorite granola. As you can see, I made this sundae after only about 4 hours, when the ice cream was still closer to soft serve.
Make a "Chocolate Rapture" sundae by topping with Warm Chocolate Sauce.
Or, make a "Tiramisu" flavored sundae by topping with Warm Chocolate Sauce and a vegan mascarpone cheese.
Note: for an eerily accurate mascarpone, bring 1/4 cup plain non-dairy creamer to a boil in a small saucepan and stir in 1 tablespoon agar; let cool. In a bowl, combine 8 ounces Tofutti cream cheese, 1/4 cup vegan sour cream, the agar mixture, 1/3 cup vegan powdered sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Beat with a hand mixer until creamy. Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours so the mixture can set, then dollop over the ice cream and drizzle with the chocolate sauce. Voila - this sundae tastes like tiramisu without the ladyfingers
*My note on the chocolate is exactly the opposite from that for my Warm Chocolate Sauce - choose a bittersweet dark chocolate here, one labeled 85% cacao, to achieve the right bittersweet mocha result.
8 servings (1/2 cup), Calories 206
Just awesome. I'm a sucker for anything coffee flavored. Make that mocha flavored and I'm in love, and this was awesomeness on a spoon. A perfect balance of coffee and chocolate, not too sweet, and a nice kick from the Kahlua. I loved the little bits of chopped chocolate waiting in each spoonful. Like a frozen Starbucks mochaccino, only better.