- 3/4 cup vegan chicken broth (such as Imagine)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vegan brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup (1-inch long x 1/4-inch wide) julienne-cut strips red bell pepper
- 12 ounces Sophie's Kitchen shrimp, thawed
- 2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2. Cut each shrimp in half lengthwise and add to the pan. Return to a boil and cook for a final minute. Stir in the cooked rice, lime juice, and cilantro.
4 servings (1 and 3/4 cups), Calories 294
A surprising bit of heat from the crushed red pepper, tamed by the coconut milk, and accentuated by the tart lime and the cilantro. The squash was unexpected but works great in this application. Although the shrimp were certainly fun, I would use tofu next time, in which case I'd rate this soup even higher. Overall, flavorful and hearty.