- 28 ounces vegan chicken broth (such as Imagine)
- 1 (3.5-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped and cooked Gardein Tuscan chicken breast (without sauce)
2. Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green onions, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger; saute for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice, reserved broth, and chicken. Cook for a final 3 minutes, until the liquid is almost all evaporated, stirring frequently.
Pair this main dish with steamed snow peas, or broccoli tossed with soy sauce and sesame seeds. Or why not both?
3 servings (1 and 1/2 cups), Calories 395
This is a simple dish, nothing special, but a good mid-week meal. The three ingredients in the title take center stage, but I would increase the ginger and garlic, and add a touch of soy sauce, as otherwise it is a little bland. Baked, seasoned tofu in place of the Gardein chicken might also make for a more flavorful dinner. I would have liked larger pieces of mushroom, so might try chopped button mushrooms next time, instead of the thin slivers of shiitake.
I took my own advice and made this again with thinly sliced button mushroom caps instead. It made the meal feel heartier, and is my preference over the shiitake version.
I also used the opportunity to cook the rice out of the bag, which I believe helped it soak up a bit more of the broth while cooking, and resulted in a more flavorful meal all around.
Here's the final result: