- 1 medium eggplant (about 8 ounces)
- 2 red bell peppers (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
- 4 Gardein Tuscan chicken breasts (without sauce)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
2. Place the eggplant and bell peppers on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 7 to 8 minutes, until tender.
3. Meanwhile, combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, the ginger, garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper; sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes on each side.
4. Combine the eggplant and bell peppers in a blender or food processor with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper, 1 teaspoon olive oil, paprika, and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
Serve 1 chicken breast and about 1/3 cup sauce on each of 4 plates.
I recommend adding crusty bread on the side to round out the meal.
4 servings (1 chicken breast, about 1/3 cup sauce), Calories 194
I started with a bite of the eggplant sauce, and found it to be too fiery from the spices. However, the taste of the spicy sauce in combination with the ginger-flavored chicken was so intriguing, I had to boost my overall rating of the dish. An incredibly... different combination. The sauce is smooth and creamy, although you don't really taste the eggplant, under all that spice. The dish also definitely needed a "green" element, which was why I added parsley sprigs as garnish at the last minute; I would stir in chopped parsley after pureeing, next time.