Omnivore fiance takes a bite of Gardein chicken.
Fiance: "This is the best you've ever made this!"
Me: "All I did was heat it in a skillet."
Omnivore fiance takes a second bite.
Fiance: "That's it. I'm sold. I love vegan chicken. This is so good." [Pause] "Because what I hate about real chicken is that you always have to be afraid of what's in it nowadays. With this, it tastes just as good but there's no reason to be afraid."
Me: Happy Vegan.
I promised him that I'd do something a bit fancier than just heating the Gardein chicken in a skillet, and this dish fits the bill - the sauce requires few ingredients and little time, but adds elegant flavor.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 Gardein Tuscan chicken breasts (without sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup vegan dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 1/2 cup plain non-dairy creamer
2. Add the green onions, white wine, and rosemary; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the chicken broth; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the creamer; cook for a final 2 minutes.
Add simple side dishes (white rice and mixed veggies were on the menu in my apartment tonight) to round out the meal.
4 servings (1 chicken breast, about 3 tablespoons sauce), Calories 183