- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounces vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 3 tablespoons Classic Pesto
2. Add the water, salt, black pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
3. Stir in the corn; cover and cook for a final 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pesto.
This makes a quick and easy side dish, in combination with veggie meats like Match beef or Gardein chicken. Although I did not try it, I imagine you could stir in cubed tofu or black beans in a pinch to make it an entree.
8 servings (3/4 cup), Calories 247
This is the first rice dish in a long time that has surprised me - wonderfully different, with basil and corn in every bite. I would finely chop the mushrooms next time (to about the size of the corn kernels), so everything is more uniform in size, and i would also use more mushroom.