For the Pesto Mayonnaise:
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Classic Pesto
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Note: the mayonnaise will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge, so if this roasted pepper sandwich doesn't appeal to you, or you'd like to give the spread a try elsewhere, it would be equally great on just about any sandwich - I liked it on whole wheat rolls with tomato and vegan deli slices from Field Roast.
4 servings (1 tablespoon), Calories 42
And now on to the sandwich itself.
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) loaf French bread baguette
- 1 recipe Pesto Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled vegan feta (such as Sunergia)
- 8 (1/4-inch thick) slices tomato
- 4 (1/8-inch thick) slices red onion
2. Cut the baguette in half lengthwise. Spread the Pesto Mayonnaise evenly over the bottom of the loaf. Sprinkle with the feta, and arrange the bell pepper pieces and tomato over the feta. Separate the onion slices into rings and arrange evenly on top. Cover with the top of the loaf, and cut the sandwich into 4 pieces.
My husband remarked that even the sandwich guys at our local deli would be impressed upon seeing this big sandwich.
4 servings (1 sandwich piece), Calories 256
The Pesto Mayonnaise is fantastic - creamy and bursting with the fresh basil in the pesto. The sandwich was also delicious, but I would alter the ingredient ratios next time. I recommend using 2 yellow bell peppers, cutting the amount of tomato slices in half, and doing away with the red onion (which had too much of a bite, raw). With those few tweaks, this sandwich would be quite simply divine.