- 2 (4-ounce) Tofurky Italian sausages
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain non-dairy milk
- 4 cups uncooked ziti
- 3/4 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Daiya mozzarella
2. Wipe the pan with a paper towel. Add the butter, and melt over medium heat. Add the flour, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the milk, whisking until smooth. Continue to cook for about 8 minutes, until thick; remove from heat.
3. Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions; you should have about 6 cups hot cooked pasta. Drain.
3. In a large bowl, combine the milk mixture, sausage, cooked ziti, 3/4 cup vegan cheese, and the salt. Spoon the mixture into an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the mozzarella.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes - the top should be lightly browned.
4 servings (1 and 1/2 cups), Calories 577
A wonderfully indulgent dish full of creaminess from the two cheeses and the milk-and-flour roux. In fact, this was probably the best roux I've ever produced in my kitchen, texture-wise, so I was quite proud. I loved the bits of sausage, but the dish could use a little more layering. Consider adding wilted spinach or another veggie, minced or bottled garlic, crushed red pepper, or other herbs and spices.