Whether you want a quick meal for the same reason, or just any night after a long day, try this quick soup, easily made vegan with Tofurky sausage and Gardein chicken. Use Gardein's chick'n filets, sold refrigerated, which are thinner than the company's chicken breasts.
- 1 (4-ounce) Tofurky Italian sausage
- 2 Gardein chick'n filets
- Cooking spray
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen chopped onion
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 28 ounces vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 1 (3.5-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2. Add the celery, carrots, and broth; bring to a boil. Remove the rice from the bag, and add to the broth mixture. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs; stir in the parsley, salt, and black pepper.
Add warm bread or hearty crackers on the side to round out the meal, and you're good to go.
4 servings (1 and 1/2 cups), Calories 245
A flavorful soup, especially from the thyme which infused into the broth. I loved the spicy hints from the sausage. For something that came together so quickly, this tasted like a long-simmered soup that had been on the stove for hours. Definitely my new go-to "un-chicken" soup, as they say. I highly recommend a hearty loaf of bread on the side, both for dunking in the soup as you eat and for sopping up the last bits of broth from the bowl.