- 1 whole garlic head
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped and peeled potato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 (16-ounce) drained can cannellini beans
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional for garnish)
2. Heat the remaining 3 teaspoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and salt; saute for 5 minutes. Add the carrot, potato, celery, rosemary, and tomato paste; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the Vegetable Stock and cannellini beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
4. Stir in the roasted garlic pulp and the kale; simmer for a final 10 minutes, until the kale is tender. Stir in the lemon juice and black pepper. Ladle into soup bowls, and sprinkle evenly with the parsley for a nice pop of fresh color and taste, if desired.
Crostini made a great accompaniment to this soup. Try toasted sourdough bread with creamy cheese on top - I love the soy bleu from Veg Cuisine (formerly Sunergia), but you could also try with homemade vegan goat cheese or more savory toppings like tomatoes and herbs.
4 servings (2 cups), Calories 242
This soup made me think of something I'd get as the first course at a family-style Italian restaurant; very homey and warming. I would omit the lemon juice next time, since stirring it in right at the end detracted from the flavors I was hoping for - the sweet roasted garlic and the savory tomato paste. I also would add more white beans and more kale next time, for a jam-packed bowlful.