- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1 ounce)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2. Combine the olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat; saute just until the garlic starts to sizzle.
Note: As with my Spaghetti Alla Norma, this step will only take 30 seconds to 1 minute - the trick here is not to overcook the garlic.
3. Add the porcinis, the reserved soaking liquid, and the parsley; cook until the liquid is evaporated - about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Add the button mushrooms, salt, and black pepper; cook for a final 15 to 25 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.
Gardein's beefless tips are a savory counterpart to serve with this side dish, and I highly recommend a glass of (vegan) Chianti or other vegan red wine.
6 servings (1/2 cup), Calories 55
This dish was almost the definition of "earthy" - just rich, concentrated flavor of both mushroom varieties, feeling like they were freshly dug up from the ground. If I hadn't cooked this myself, I would never believe the dish is really little more than the mushrooms and their own juices - certainly it tastes rich enough to have a little red wine in the sauce, or broth, or both. I would increase the parsley next time, to freshen the taste up a bit, but otherwise found this to be quite nice.