- 1 pound beets
- 4 cups vegan chicken broth (such as Imagine)
- 1 and 1/2 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts*
- 4 ounces crumbled vegan feta (such as Veg Cuisine)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 3 minced garlic cloves
Note: I recommend rubbing off the skins in a colander under running water. You'll minimize the pink stains in your kitchen (and on your hands!) that way.
2. Meanwhile, bring the broth to a boil, and add the barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Note: Don't worry if there's a little bit of broth still in the pot after 40 minutes; the rest will absorb while the barley cools.
3. In a large bowl, combine the barley, arugula, walnuts, and feta.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the balsamic, olive oil, fennel seeds, and garlic. Pour the vinegar mixture over the barley mixture, tossing to coat.
5. Spoon about 1 and 1/3 cups barley mixture onto each of 6 plates, and top each serving with about 1/2 cup beets.
*Toast the walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes - you'll know they're done when they smell toasty! Stir or shake the pan frequently to prevent the nuts from burning.
6 servings (1 and 1/3 cups barley mixture, about 1/2 cup beets), Calories 403
Loved this - salty feta, tender barley, and peppery arugula in every bite. There was just a tad too much balsamic and garlic in the dressing, but the fennel seeds are a surprising and delicious addition. Honestly if you're pressed for time, this would be just fine without the beets. However, they do add a wonderful elegance to the presentation. I'd chop the beets into bite-sized cubes next time though, so that after plating they'll easily mix into the rest of the salad (yes, inevitably staining the whole thing pink, but at that point, it won't matter).