- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon vegan brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 6 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1/3 cup plain non-dairy creamer
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
2. Add the squash, water, and apple. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
3. Transfer half of the soup to a blender and process until smooth; transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining soup, then return the pureed soup to the pan. Stir in the creamer and salt, and cook for 1 minute, to heat thoroughly.
4. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 10 bowls, and sprinkle each serving with about 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Perfect for a light fall lunch with a handful of walnuts and plump fresh figs.
10 servings (1 cup), Calories 139
I definitely got the savory, butternut flavor I was hoping for this time around. If you like curry powder, then this recipe is for you - much more forward than in my Curried Squash-Apple Soup. That said, I'd leave out the ground red pepper, as the curry makes it plenty spicy enough. The cilantro on top is a nice contrasting flavor.