For the pork:
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 ounces Match pork, thawed
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1/2 cup diced red apple
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan Monterey Jack cheese (such as Vegan Gourmet)
2. To make the salsa, heat a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, corn, black beans, crushed red pepper, hot sauce, and green salsa; reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the apple and cilantro, and cook for a final 5 minutes.
3. Heat the corn tortillas according to package directions. Top each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of the pork and 1/2 cup of the salsa, and sprinkle each tostada with 1 tablespoon Monterey Jack.
Note: the nutrition values below account for everything up to here, but don't stop there. If you like, you can also top the tostadas with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, extra shredded cheese, Tofutti sour cream, or an extra dollop of salsa. I especially recommend the sour cream to cut the spiciness of the pork rub.
8 servings (1 tostada), Calories 286
Update: I actually preferred these reheated for lunch the next day. The spices in the rub seemed to have mellowed somewhat over 24 hours, allowing me to savor the full flavor of the salsa, and enjoy the texture of the pork better.