- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vegan sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 cups trimmed arugula
- 1/2 cup shaved vegan cheese*
2. Combine the fennel and red onion in a large bowl, and drizzle with the lemon juice mixture, tossing to coat.
3. Arrange 1 cup arugula on each of 8 salad plates. Top each serving with about 3/4 cup fennel mixture and 1 tablespoon of the shaved cheese.
Try serving with a rice pilaf and warm bread rolls to add a little warmth to your winter plate.
*You need a vegan cheese that shaves well with a vegetable peeler, and for that, I recommend Sheese. Tonight I used their Strong Cheddar flavor, but you can try this salad with any of their varieties shaved on top. With a similar texture to a hard aged cheese like Romano or Parmesan, Sheese is the perfect candidate for this application.
8 servings (1 cup arugula, 3/4 cup fennel mixture, 1 tablespoon cheese), Calories 62
This salad actually exceeded my expectations. The contrast between the sweet fennel and bite of the red onion tasted great. The dressing, which I worried would be too tart, was mellowed by the sugar. The creaminess of the cheese was also a great foil for the peppery arugula. Very refreshing and pleasing overall. Consider sprinkling with chopped nuts to amp it up just a bit.