- 16 (1/2-inch thick) diagonally cut slices French bread baguette
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups shiitake mushroom caps
- Cooking spray
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons plain non-dairy creamer
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2. Meanwhile, place the cremini and shiitake mushrooms in a food processor and pulse about 10 times, until finely chopped.
3. Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for 10 minutes; most of the liquid rendered from the mushrooms should be evaporated. Add the parsley, creamer, thyme, salt, and black pepper, and cook for a final 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons duxelles onto each bread slice.
This appetizer is best served immediately.
8 servings (2 toast slices, 2 tablespoons duxelles), Calories 117
I loved the consistency of the duxelles - indeed, even knowing that a "paste" was to be expected, I was surprised and pleased with the texture. Despite great mushroom flavor, I disappointingly found the rest of the preparation a touch bland; I would use more garlic, more herbs, and a touch more salt. Although the baguette slices were great, you could easily skip and serve this on store-bought crackers to save time