- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) rinsed and drained can chickpeas
2. Combine the eggplant flesh in a food processor with all the remaining ingredients; process until smooth.
Serve with crudites, crackers, or pita toasts.
8 servings (1/4 cup), Calories 114
Alas, disappointingly bland. I realized right off the bat that this needed lots of fresh-squeezed lemon juice to brighten it up, a good bit more salt, and more spices. I would also use a smaller eggplant next time for better balance. (My apologies that the "large" eggplant called for here is vague; I neglected to weigh the one I bought, so can only estimate it was about 1 and 1/2 pounds. Go smaller than that). Play around with those suggestions and tweaks, and let me know if you like this recipe better.
Update: because of the above-mentioned blandness, I enjoyed this best as a spread on pita sandwiches with lettuce and bottled roasted peppers - the strong flavor of the red pepper helped bring out the taste of the eggplant, and was a better application for this spread than a dip, in my opinion.