- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 8 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese, divided
- 1 and 1/2 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
Note: I used the strong cheddar from Sheese tonight. The hard texture - perfect for grating - mimics fresh-grated Parmesan and works well in this dish.
2. Cover and transfer to the oven, and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Stir in the asparagus and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cover and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes; the liquid should be all absorbed.
Toss together leftover fresh spinach with bottled dressing for a quick salad. You can make this risotto the center of the meal, but I also liked it with Gardein chicken and vegan fish:
4 servings (1 cup), Calories 309
Even better than I anticipated; the deep, baked flavor of this is incredible. Adding the spinach so early seemed strange, but it baked until it tasted like spinach in a spanokopita (spinach pie), and the asparagus had an equally concentrated, rich flavor. I also worried there wouldn't be enough liquid, but it was fluffy and perfectly tender. That said, you could add a little more broth to avoid browning or scorching the rice on the bottom of the pan. The cheese added a decadent, almost nutty flavor. Add a drizzle of truffle oil if you want to make this risotto even better.