- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- 1/3 grated vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan chicken broth (such as Imagine)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 12 ounces green beans
- 1 and 1/4 pounds red potatoes
Note: for cheese in pesto, I like to grate the vegan mozzarella block from Galaxy Foods. Use any white vegan cheese you prefer, or nutritional yeast instead for cheesy flavor.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Trim the green beans, and cut into 1 and 1/2-inch pieces; add to the boiling water and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the green beans from the water with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Cut the potatoes into 6 wedges each and transfer to the boiling water. Cook for 6 to 10 minutes, until tender; drain. Add the potatoes and the pesto mixture to the green beans; toss to coat.
6 servings (1 cup), Calories 148
A fantastic way to feature fresh summer green beans. I would seek out delectable farmers' market potatoes next time - like the lovely blue or purple varieties - since the conventional red potatoes I used weren't of the same caliber as the green beans. I'd use more basil in the pesto, but it is already wonderfully creamy and salty. Add cubed baked tofu or tempeh and this could easily be your main course.