- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound Match pork, thawed
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth (such as Imagine)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
2. Divide the pork into 4 portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch thick patty. Rub the steak seasoning and thyme evenly over the pork. Add to the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together the broth and cornstarch in a bowl. Add to the skillet, along with the mushrooms, and bring to a boil; cook for a final minute, until the broth is slightly thickened.
Because the sauce is somewhat thin, I recommend serving over a bed of something to soak up all the extra broth. One option is soft polenta sprinkled with vegan Parmesan sprinkles.
Or try steamed brown rice:
4 servings (1 pork piece, about 1/3 cup sauce), Calories 181
The spice rub was great - full of black pepper and thyme - but alas I was disappointed by the sauce. Even thinner and blander than I expected, it definitely needed something more. Soy sauce might add earthy, salty notes that would liven up the dish. The shiitake mushrooms were good, but also a touch bland. I might use baked tofu steaks instead of the pork next time and see if the overall effect is better. But extra points for the spice rub.