For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup packed vegan brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 and 1/2 cups chopped Pink Lady apple
- 1 (12-ounce) package broccoli slaw*
- 3 ounces dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seed kernels
2. To prepare the slaw, combine the apples, broccoli slaw, and dried cherries in a large bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss well. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds. Chill before serving, though not longer than 3 hours; I chilled the slaw for just over 2 hours.
If you want a good vegan meat to pair with this dish, try Match pork for dinner:
Or alongside slices of Lightlife ham for lunch:
*Look for broccoli slaw with the bagged greens in the supermarket - it's a blend of mostly broccoli and just a touch of cabbage and carrot.
8 servings (1 cup), Calories 125
Much more to my liking than last night's apple salad, with a sweet but tangy vinaigrette, beautifully crisp and sweet Pink Lady apples, and just the occasional tart dried cherry. The one thing this dish was sorely lacking was a salty contrast, so I recommend salted sunflower seeds. I liked it best alongside slices of Lightlife ham, which added just the right savory counterpoint.