- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegan brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 ounces Match beef, thawed
2. Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar in a bowl with the salt, cumin, coriander, and ground red pepper. Rub evenly over the Match beef.
3. Place the beef in the preheated skillet and bake at 450 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Let stand for about 5 minutes before cutting into thin slices.
To round out a vegan meat-and-potatoes dinner, try serving with sweet potato spears: peel 1 and 1/2 pounds sweet potato and cut into 1/2-inch wedges lengthwise. Combine the potato wedges in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and bake on the bottom rack (at the same time as the beef, if you like) at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
Simply steamed collard greens are all you need to complete the meal.
4 servings (3 ounces beef), Calories 198
One of the best dishes I've made with Match beef - the spices and sugar caramelized into a thin crunchy glaze all around the outsides of each bite. The rub had a touch too much heat from the red pepper for my liking, and not quite enough sweetness, so I would play around with the ratios next time. Incidentally, the sweet potato spears were de-lish - tender and just lightly spiced.