- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1(6-inch) French bread baguette
- 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan sprinkles (such as Galaxy Foods)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2. Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
Note: If you don't have good fresh basil on hand, substitute 1 teaspoon dried.
3. Cut the baguette in half horizontally, and place the bread halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil for 2 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and spread 1 tablespoon onion mixture over each bread half. Sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon Parmesan sprinkles and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Return to the broiler for 1 minute.
This bruschetta is perfect alongside a bowl of soup or an entree salad for a light dinner:
Or serve with pasta for a heartier meal:
2 servings (1 baguette half), Calories 236
The onion is sweet and perfect, but unfortunately, it was the Parmesan that dominated in the topping. I recommend decreasing to only 1 teaspoon per baguette half, as well as doubling the onion and basil mixture. The bread becomes quite crisp and toasted under the broiler, so my preference was to serve the bruschetta with a bowl of soup and dunk right into the warm broth.