- 1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup vegan sugar
- 1 (750 ml) bottle vegan Merlot*
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 (8 inch x 1 inch) orange rind strip
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 thinly sliced and seeded orange
- 1 thinly sliced and seeded lemon
- 2 cups club soda
2. Press the cloves into the orange rind strip.
3. Add the strip to the wine mixture, along with the cinnamon sticks, sliced orange, and sliced lemon. Chill at least 30 minutes.
3. Just before serving, stir in the club soda.
For the best presentation, serve in wine glasses filled with ice.
*Your options abound these days for vegan Merlot. One to try: the organic Merlot from Orleans Hill.
6 servings (1 cup), Calories 160
This sangria goes down easy, and indeed is quite sweet. If you prefer more of a kick, I recommend adding brandy to the mix, or decreasing the orange juice (or both), but as is, this would be the perfect drink for a hot summer night. The hints of cinnamon and orange are lovely, and I liked the fizz from the club soda.