- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup cooked and shredded Gardein chicken breast*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Green Chile Sauce
- Cooking spray
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup crumbled vegan feta (such as Sunergia)
2. Spread 1/4 cup of the Green Chile Sauce in the bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 tortillas over the sauce. Top evenly with half of the chicken mixture and 1/2 cup Green Chile Sauce. Repeat the layers - 2 tortillas, the remaining chicken mixture, and 1/2 cup sauce - and finish with the final 2 tortillas. Spread the remaining 3/4 cup sauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle with the feta.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cut each tortilla stack in half.
*If you can find Gardein chick'n strips, use those in this recipe, heated according to package directions. Another option is to cook Gardein Tuscan chicken breasts and shredded with a fork to equal 1 cup (about 1 and 1/2 chicken pieces). You can also cook and shred Match chicken, if that is your preferred brand.
4 servings (1/2 a tortilla stack), Calories 227
I was a little worried while assembling the enchiladas, because the filling looked meager - but I need not have fretted one bit. The end result was delicious - a wonderful showcase for the fresh cilantro and tomatillo of the Green Chile Sauce, great salty contrast from the feta, and wonderfully tender tortilla stacks. My only change would be to increase the chicken next time... but not too much, so the Green Chile Sauce can still shine. My only other complaint is that it was hard to dish the tortilla halves out of the pan without them falling apart. Still, it will only affect the aesthetic look of the dish, but not the taste.