- 2 cups green peas
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2. Transfer the pea mixture to a blender and let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the sour cream, mint, salt, and white pepper.
Note: if your grocer carries it, try the sour cream from Vegan Gourmet - it's just a bit lighter in calories than Tofutti, and keeps this soup a bit healthier.
4 servings (3/4 cup), Calories 133
First off, I was so struck by the preparation for this soup - I've never seen whole romaine lettuce go into the body of a soup before. It made for a fun experience, and just the right hint of romaine came through with each spoonful. I highly recommend fresh peas if they are in season, because the flavor just came bursting through. The soup was so creamy it was almost foamy - yum. Next time, however, I recommend pureeing the mint with the other ingredients in the blender, as well as increasing the mint.