- 4 cups vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 1 pound uncooked orzo
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 24 ounces Vegetarian Plus shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato sprinkles*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted and sliced almonds, divided**
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the shrimp; saute for 2 minutes. Add the carrot, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, sun-dried tomato sprinkles, salt, and black pepper; cook for a final 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/4 cup of the almonds.
3. Add the shrimp mixture to the orzo, and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup almonds.
Other great accompaniments to this pilaf are grilled fruit kebabs or a bowl of chilled soup - tonight I tried the acorn squash-mango soup from Imagine.
*The sun-dried tomato sprinkles were key to this dish, as per my review below, so do make the effort to find them. Although you could chop sun-dried tomatoes (packed without oil) into small pieces, the actual crushed sprinkles are what you really need to get sun-dried tomato flavor in every bite. I couldn't for the life of me find them in any grocery store, but you can buy them online at Olive Nation.
**Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat on the stovetop. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and toasty smelling.
8 servings (1 and 1/4 cups), Calories 381