For the salad:
- 1 and 1/2 cups uncooked couscous
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 (15.5-ounce) rinsed and drained can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate, thawed (such as Cascadian Farm)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
2. Fluff with a fork and let cool (about half an hour), then stir in the green onion, basil, and chickpeas.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: combine all the ingredients listed under 'Dressing' in a jar. Cover and shake to combine.
4. Pour the dressing over the couscous mixture, and toss well. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
8 servings (1 cup), Calories 257
When life gives you lemons... make this dressing. Absolutely beautiful lemon flavor - any more and it would be too much, but combined with the other bright citrus elements (the orange rind and concentrate), this salad is tart and fruity and zesty in every bite. The lemon juice is perfect against the sweet dried cranberries and plump little peas. The only element that didn't fit was the basil, so I'd simply omit it next time. I would also use just a touch more curry powder so the salad really lives up to its name.