For the salad:
- 1 (15-ounce) package extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups (2-inch) cut green beans
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill*
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
2. Meanwhile, cook the penne in boiling water for 5 minutes. Add the green beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain again.
3. In a large bowl, combine the chilled tofu, penne, green beans, cherry tomatoes, and dill.
4. To prepare the dressing, combine all the ingredients listed under 'Dressing' in a jar. Cover and shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat. Cover and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
*Use 1 teaspoon dried dill if you don't have fresh on hand.
8 servings (1 and 1/2 cups), Calories 187
Certainly a nice summer salad, but I ought to have trusted my instinct to cook the tofu longer. I'd give it at least 10 minutes next time, for a very crisp, seared exterior, or better yet bake it in the oven for firmer texture. The dressing is light, so increase it if you want a better coating on the pasta, but the dill is a particularly nice touch. Make sure to use super fresh cherry tomatoes and green beans though, and you can't go wrong.