- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 and 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking barley (such as Quaker)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups quartered shiitake mushroom cups
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Marsala
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
2. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms, onion, salt, rosemary, and presliced mushrooms; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the Marsala and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the barley mixture and the sherry vinegar, and cook for a final 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve this hearty entree with some simple roasted asparagus on the side to round out the meal.
4 servings (1 and 1/2 cups), Calories 415
Wonderfully warming and filling. I loved the hints of rosemary and sherry, although there was a bit too much onion in the dish for me, and I would probably decrease the amount to only 1 cup if I were to make this again. Still, a great quick dish to have in one's repertoire for busy weeknights.