- 1 and 1/3 cups plain non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ounce chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 3 Ener-G eggs
- 1/4 cup Frangelico
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 and 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread baguette
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts*
- 2 cups vanilla non-dairy ice cream
2. Whisk the Ener-G eggs in a large bowl until slightly frothy, then add the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in the Frangelico, vanilla extract, and salt. Add the bread cubes and toss gently to coat.
3. Spoon the mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours - I chilled mine for 3 hours.
4. Sprinkle the top evenly with the hazelnuts, then place the baking dish in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Fill the larger dish with hot water to a depth of 1 inch. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake a final 5 minutes - a knife tip inserted in the center should come out clean.
5. Divide the pudding into 8 squares, and serve warm with 1/4 cup vanilla non-dairy ice cream of your choice over each serving. The ice cream will melt over the pudding to form a decadent sauce.
*To remove the skins from hazelnuts, toast them first on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Place on a clean dish towel and rub off the skins, then chop.
8 servings (1 pudding square, 1/4 cup ice cream), Calories 277
It's the first time I'm awarding a "5" on this blog - which means that one bite of this dessert and you simply have to close your eyes and savor it for a good 15 seconds before thought returns. Deliciously chocolate-y, the perfect texture, and wonderful hints of vanilla and hazelnut. I only could have done with a tiny bit more Frangelico flavor coming through!