- Cooking spray
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegan sugar
- 1/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 325 degrees - it will take a little over 10 minutes. Make sure to use at least a large enough saucepan, otherwise the mixture might bubble over.
3. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the peanuts, baking soda, butter, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and ground red pepper; quickly transfer to the prepared baking sheet, spreading the mixture to the edges. Let stand for 1 hour, then break into pieces.
Note: the brittle will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. You can also package this in pretty cellophane or wax paper bags tied with ribbon - a batch makes a great hostess gift.
20 servings (about 1 ounce), Calories 105