- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon vegan sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced and peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound broccolini
2. Meanwhile, trim about an inch or so off the ends of the broccolini. Steam, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain.
3. Spoon the bell pepper dressing over the broccolini. This side dish could accompany any number of vegan dinners, particularly pasta dishes or whole grain entrees.
Note: You might also find the vegetable labeled "baby broccoli," but that's a misnomer, as they are two different plants. It's actually a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale.
4 servings (1 cup broccolini, 2 tablespoons dressing), Calories 60
Pleasant flavors to the red pepper sauce - wonderful fresh ginger, and a nice combination of tangy, sweet, and spicy flavors. The dish felt very bright - almost summery - which was a nice perk here in the beginning of January. I would steam the broccolini longer - or boil next time - because I wasn't a huge fan of the crisp-tender texture.