- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 2/3 cup strawberry non-dairy yogurt (such as Whole Soy)
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 Ener-G egg
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons vegan sugar
2. In a second bowl, combine the strawberries, strawberry yogurt, butter, orange rind, and Ener-G egg. Add the strawberry mixture to the flour mixture, and stir just until moist.
Note: make sure to dice the strawberries quite small, or they will be hard to incorporate into the dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly about 4 times; use floured hands, because scone dough is wet and sticky. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges with a knife, scoring into but not all the way through the dough. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
These scones are best served fresh from the oven, with a mug of tea.
12 servings (1 scone), Calories 152
Consider these scones the culinary equivalent of a strawberry patch. A double-dose of strawberry from the fresh diced fruit and the yogurt in the batter. The scones had a healthy flavor from the whole wheat flour, and although only lightly sweet on the inside, the crunch of sugar on top was perfect; I'd use a coarse grain sugar like turbinado next time for more crunch. Perfect with a cup of chai tea.