- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 24 ounces Vegetarian Plus shrimp, thawed
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain non-dairy milk
- 1 and 3/4 cups vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded Daiya cheddar
- 1 tablespoon Annie's Worcestershire sauce
2. Meanwhile, combine the milk and chicken broth in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Gradually add the grits. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally - the grits should be thick by the end. Stir in the cheddar and Worcestershire sauce, stirring until the cheddar melts.
3. Spoon 2/3 cup grits onto each of 6 plates, and top each serving with 2/3 cup shrimp mixture.
6 servings (2/3 cup shrimp mixture, 2/3 cup grits), Calories 329
The grits were absolutely fabulous, and creamy from the Daiya cheddar. From now on I will consider Annie's Worcestershire sauce my secret grits ingredient. The shrimp topping was nice, but unfortunately didn't quite rise to the level of the grits. I would swap out the green bell pepper for okra (as a personal preference) and definitely add spices. I think stewed tomatoes would be better than chopped plum tomatoes. But as you can see, the grits were so delicious they kept up my overall rating of the dish.
As a side note, this will be my last post for a couple of weeks - I'll be away from home (and my kitchen) on business, but please check back towards the end of the month. I have many more vegan recipes to come.