- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup vegan buttermilk*
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 and 1/2 pounds cucumber (about 4 or 5)
- 1 halved and seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
2. Combine the cucumbers in a food processor with all the remaining ingredients except the cherry tomatoes. Process until smooth.
3. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls, and top each serving with 1/4 cup tomatoes. I recommend a mix of yellow and red for the prettiest presentation.
*To prepare the buttermilk, place 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill with plain non-dairy milk to equal 1/4 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes, so the mixture can clabber (sour), then add to the recipe as directed.
4 servings (1 cup soup, 1/4 cup tomatoes), Calories 74
At first bite, I thought this was too salty. But then at second bite - and third, and fourth, and so on - I thought it was perfect, especially once the fresh cherry tomatoes were on my spoon. It's what I imagine eating cucumber gelato might be like, thanks to the richness from the sour cream. There was just the right spice from the jalapeno. This would get a 5 except, okay, it was saltier than I know is good for me, and I shouldn't let my taste buds get used to it.