- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (16-ounce) rinsed and drained can Great Northern beans
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
2. Stir in the water and beans. Cook for a final 3 minutes. Stir in the white wine vinegar, salt, and black pepper, and discard the bay leaf.
4 servings (1/2 cup), Calories 178
As I was stirring in the vinegar, I wondered if it would be too acidic, but it ended up being my favorite element of this dish - a great tangy contrast to the mellowness of the beans and onions. Super comfort food, but I would add more herbs like rosemary or thyme.