- 1 and 1/2 pounds tomatoes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped and peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 coarsely chopped garlic cloves
Note: Be sure to choose the ripest, reddest tomatoes you can find for this recipe. You'll be glad you did!
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth.
3. Press the tomato mixture through a sieve over a bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon; discard the solids. There will be a surprising amount of these "solids" leftover, and you'll wind up with a salmon-pink, wonderfully smooth soup.
4. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
6 servings (1/2 cup), Calories 80
Too vinegary, alas, so use only 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar and it ought to come out better. Either that or increase the amount of tomatoes and keep everything else the same, and the balance would be right. This gazpacho is definitely different, since I've almost always prepared or consumed chunky versions, but aside from the novelty factor, I'll probably go back to chunky gazpacho in the future. This would have been better with soaked bread added right into the bowl, or a little fresh cucumber garnish on top.