- 3 cups thinly sliced and peeled peaches
- 1 tablespoon vegan sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup vegan sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Ener-G egg
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan buttermilk*
- 2 and 1/4 cups vanilla non-dairy ice cream
- 6 tablespoons caramel sundae syrup (such as Fun Fresh Foods)
2. Combine the remaining 2/3 cup sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with the butter, lemon rind, vanilla, and Ener-G egg. Beat at medium speed for several minutes, until blended. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine the flour in a bowl with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and mixing well after each addition.
3. Spoon the batter over the peach mixture in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes - a wooden pick inserted in the center should come out clean.
4. Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Place a plate over the pan, and invert the cake onto the plate.
5. This cake is best served warm. Serve one slice on each of 9 plates along with 1/4 cup ice cream. Warm the caramel syrup, and drizzle 2 teaspoons over each serving.
*To prepare the buttermilk, place 2 and 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill with non-dairy milk to equal 3/4 cup and let stand for 5 minutes to clabber the mixture.
9 servings (1 cake slice, 1/4 cup ice cream, 2 teaspoons caramel syrup), Calories 307
A beautifully moist cake, and I'm so glad I drizzled the caramel sauce on after baking this time, because each bite was just a pop of caramel flavor. Served a la mode, the warm cake melts the ice cream, for a "peaches-and-cream" effect. Minus one point only because I realized I bought white peaches, and the flavor would have been peachier and fresher with yellow ones.