- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1 and 1/4 cups quartered fresh figs
- 1 cup trimmed arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons crumbled vegan blue cheese (such as Sunergia)
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Pour over the lettuce mixture, tossing gently to combine. Sprinkle with the blue cheese.
Note: although you can serve 4 people with appetizer portions of this salad, you can also enjoy the whole recipe as a main dish salad.
4 servings (1 cup), Calories 74
This salad tastes super elegant, considering how little time it takes. Everything was wonderful, from the sweet plump figs, to the creamy blue cheese, to the peppery arugula, except the dressing which was a little too tart for my taste. Next time, I will decrease the amount of lemon juice. Aside from that, this is a great, quick salad. Keep it in mind for guests, since - as I mentioned - it appears super elegant but takes no time at all.
Vegan cheeses continue to get better all the time - I'm continually amazed when I think back on the difference between 2002 (when I went from vegetarian to vegan) and now. If you're looking for other great ways to enjoy vegan cheese, here are a couple suggestions.
Serve Sunergia's soy bleu with sliced pears for a dessert cheese course.
Pair Vegan Gourmet's cheddar with apple wedges for an afternoon snack.