- 1 and 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegan sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 cups (3-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1 and 1/2 cups trimmed green beans
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) diagonally cut carrot
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 6 trimmed green onion bottoms
- 4 halved garlic cloves
2. Place all of the vegetables in a large zip-top plastic bag. Carefully pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables.
3. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to overnight, turning occasionally. Remove the vegetables from the bag with a slotted spoon before serving, and discard the vinegar mixture.
6 servings (1 cup), Calories 57
Crisp and crunchy, which made for a nice snack. However, because the vinegar taste is strong, I preferred the giardiniera as a side dish - a dinner of grilled Match pork with a hoisin sauce and creamy mashed potatoes with rosemary helped to cut the bite of the vinegar in the vegetables. Don't be alarmed by the full tablespoon of salt called for - even though it sounds like a lot, I actually found this version to be a lot less salty than commercial versions. Finally, next time I wouldn't use green onions or garlic - since they are never cooked, only pickled, they had way too much of a bite.