- 3 cups water
- 1 and 3/4 cups chopped dried figs
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 (2-inch) orange rind strips
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios
2. Remove from heat and discard the orange rind strips; cool. Stir in the pistachios. As mentioned, you can serve alongside Indian flatbread such as dosa or uttapam. If you don't want to make two recipes, however, this chutney is also great as part of an appetizer platter - try cubed vegan cheeses, rolled slices of Lightlife vegan deli meats, and little cornichons pickles.
6 servings (1/4 cup), Calories 165
Much as with the dosas I made, I found that the chutney was fine on its own - quite fig-y - but was even better when served as a condiment, and in conjunction with the dosas. A real nice crunch from the pistachios. The spice flavors were delicious, though you could easily increase quantities according to taste, depending how spicy you like things.