- 3 pounds peeled and cubed baking potato
- 1/2 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
- 3 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
2. Drain, and return the potatoes to the pan. Add the milk and broth; mash to desired consistency with a potato masher. Return to the burner and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated. Stir in the sour cream, salt, and black pepper. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with the butter.
A couple tips for even better mashed potatoes: if you have a ricer, this recipe is the perfect opportunity to use it. Although not ideal when a mashed potato recipe calls for Yukon golds or red potatoes, a ricer is perfect for dry-textured potatoes like russets. Another trick is to warm up the milk and broth before adding to the recipe as directed, which will reduce your risk of lumps.
A super-basic recipe like this calls for comfort food. Tonight I had the Roma-style baked tofu from West Soy and wilted spinach.
8 servings (about 3/4 cup), Calories 162
It's not often that I eat a recipe so decadently (Earth Balance) buttery, so that made these potatoes wonderfully indulgent. I worried there would be too much salt and pepper, but was delighted to find that wasn't the case. Instead, these potatoes had a nice, creamy richness from the soy milk. I would add just a touch more sour cream next time, for stronger tangy taste. But in sum, a great "basic."