- 2/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- Cooking spray
2. Core the apples, and cut each into 4 (1/2-inch thick) slices. Place the apple slices in the bag and seal; marinate in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
Note: as with my recipe for Baked Apple Rings with Caramel Sauce, I highly recommend a good old-fashioned apple corer, which will give you perfect apple slices every time.
3. Remove the apple slices from the bag, and reserve the marinade. Grill the apples on an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan coated with cooking spray for 6 minutes, turning and basting frequently with the marinade.
4. Arrange the apples on a platter, and drizzle with any remaining marinade. Try serving alongside Match pork or Gardein chicken for a savory dinner.
4 servings (3 apple slices), Calories 116
The apples were warm and tender off the grill, with great zesty flavors of orange and lime to every bite. Granny Smith aren't normally my favorite apples, but the tartness worked perfectly in this recipe. I would increase the amount of ginger next time to add a little more zing, and make these apples even tastier.
I had a batch of sweet Pink Lady apples, and decided to re-make a dessert version of this recipe. Prepare exactly as above, only using Pink Lady apples instead, and serve warm for dessert.
Try topping with your favorite vanilla non-dairy ice cream, for a nice contrast between the ice cream and warm apple. The ginger flavor tasted better in this sweet version.