- 1/4 cup vegan sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white rum (such as Bacardi)
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 cups peeled and cubed ripe mango
- 2 cups peeled and cubed kiwifruit
- 2 tablespoons toasted flaked coconut
2. Combine the mango and kiwifruit in a bowl; add the rum mixture and toss gently to coat.
3. Divide the fruit mixture evenly among dessert bowls (or martini glasses, which make a beautiful serving dish for this recipe), and sprinkle evenly with the coconut.
4 servings (1 cup fruit, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons coconut), Calories 185
I was a little skeptical that this recipe might just taste like a big bowl of mango and kiwi, but that was not the case. First, because of the toasty crispy coconut on top; that rich contrast to the sweet fruit made a big difference. Second, the rum really did add that little je ne sais quoi - an unexpected touch to an otherwise-ordinary simple syrup. Third, I chose mango and kiwi that were at their ripest and sweetest, which made all the difference, since both can be a touch astringent when not quite ripe. All of which combined for a wonderfully refreshing, sweet little finish to the evening.